Shoot a Colt M4 Carbine at Mister Guns Range in Plano, Texas
The Colt M4 Select Fire Carbine is a 5.56mm caliber, magazine-fed machine gun with potent firepower capability. This lightweight, gas-operated rifle was designed by Eugene Stoner and produced by the Colt Manufacturing Company (formerly known as Colt Firearms Company) of West Hartford, CT, and manufactured here in America. After a decade of modifications and testing to combine advantageous features from the Colt Commando and improve M16 design issues, the M4 was adopted by U.S Armed Forces and law enforcement agencies as their standard service weapon in the 1990s. It became a U.S. Army favorite for personal defense in close-quarters combat due to its full-auto capability, ambidextrous control, and collapsible stock. Colt builds this big-bore weapon with a Mil-Spec upper receiver and barrel, an aircraft-grade aluminum lower receiver with integrated trigger guard, a mil-spec buffer tube, tuned locking lug, and a standard Colt hand guard with a free-floating rail system. The civilian version uses an M16A4 lower and has a hi-cap magazine containing 30 rounds. In contrast, the military version uses an M16A4 lower and can use either 20 or 30-round magazines. Colt M4 is the only 5.56mm carbine in the world today that is made to meet the stringent performance specifications required for use by U.S. Armed Forces.
- Operation: Gas-operated, closed rotating bolt
- Fire Modes: Single, 3-round, or fully automatic mode.
- Rate of Fire: Between 700–950 rounds per minute.
- Empty Weight: 6.43lb
- Fully Loaded Weight: 7.75lb
- Extended Length: 33in long
- Retracted Length: 29.75in
- Barrel Length: 16.1 inches
- Caliber: 5.56mm
- Feed system of 30-round box magazines or other STANAG magazines.
- Muzzle Velocity: 2,970ft per second
- Effective Firing Range: Approximately 1640ft/550yd.